Actually, Charlottetown is one of the places I would consider living were logistics not an issue. But I think one visa application process is more than enough for my lifetime, so Charlottetown will have to remain a stop on cruises or a dream land vacation.
We had an 8:00 a.m. meeting time for our tour, and after some issues with people on the wrong buses and misdirected tourists, we were on our way on a tour of the Island. (Aside, I missed the photos with the Mountie. That has always been a highlight of the ship’s stops in Charlottetown. There is something very romantic about the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and for the last three visits to Charlottetown, we have had an opportunity to have ship photographs taken with the same really nice Mountie. I do not know if I missed the time for taking pictures or if the Mountie was not there this year, but it was a little bit of the visit I missed.) So we headed out to the North Shore and Rustico Harbor. For those of you who have read L.M. Montgomery’s stories, the names of the places will all be familiar. I do not know if Kevin Sullivan did research on PEI prior to filming his Anne of Green Gables mini-series, but from my tours of the Island, the general location shots were spot on perfect. It’s a truly beautiful island, full of gorgeous sweeping views and unspoiled vistas. I would love to take a land vacation of the Maritimes one day, spending as much time as I wanted in each place.
Rustico Harbor is nothing to speak of in and of itself, and no doubt only on the tour due to the Anne connection – as are most things on the tour I suspect. So after a brief photo stop to check out the red clay beaches and the lighthouse, we were back on the bus on the way to Cavendish and Green Gables. Cavendish is the real town upon which Avonlea is based, and from what I can tell, consists of a (ubiquitous) Tim Horton’s and Green Gables Golf Course -- PEI has at least a dozen golf courses, so if you are a golfer, it’s a popular destination in Atlantic Canada, at least according to our tour guide, who was a golfer herself. Green Gables, and the surrounding farm, while a part of the Canadian National Park System, is actually a part of the Green Gables Golf Course. But I was not there to play golf. And it’s a good thing too. Much like Mark Twain, I believe that golf is a good walk spoiled, and have been known to call the sport flogging. But be that as it may. This was my younger brother’s first visit to Green Gables and we noticed something, apart from the small rooms and low ceilings common to houses of the period, the glassware in the dining room was nearly identical to glassware our great-great aunt had in her house. I am not sure if that glassware was original to the house, or merely a period replica, but it was a treat to realize a personal connection to the real place, fictionalized in one of my favorite books. This visit, I spent far more time in the gardens surrounding the house than I did no my previous visit, though admittedly my previous visit was in the fall, when the gardens were at the end of the season and looking a little worse for wear, in that in-between phase which is not quite finished shedding the summer finery, and not in the bare, stark winter dress whites. This time, they were an explosion of spring colors, with all the bulb flowers blooming and, something I had heard of but never seen in person, bleeding hearts! They are beautiful. If it were at all practical, I would use early spring flowers in my wedding bouquet and a spray of bleeding hearts would be a nice touch with the tulips and other bulb flowers. I was born in either the wrong time of year or the wrong hemisphere. My heart lies in the early spring, just as the world is shaking the crystalline beauty of winter with a riot of color poking up through the damp and drippy ground. Yes, I am a winter, no matter what my beauty profile says. Back to the gardens though. I can truly see how they inspired not only the fictional Anne Shirley, but also her creator. It was a lovely spot.
As the bridge disappeared over the horizon and the ship chugged its way to Gaspè, I had a shower and then fell asleep to the gently rocking motion. French Canada was coming and I was looking forward to the two new ports of call.
No comments:
Post a Comment