The same message board where I participated in the Spring Book Challenge is having a Fall Book Challenge, and while I am not participating in this one, I read over the tasks. One of the tasks is to read a book about something that happened on your birthday. One of the participants commented that they were going to read a book on the fall of the Berlin Wall as Germany began dismantling the Wall on her birthday, her exact birthday -- November 10, 1989. (Aside, mine would be easy, Krakatoa erupted on my birthday, albeit 90 years earlier than I was born -- a fact my mother never lets me forget -- and since I want to read the book Krakatoa: The Day the Earth Exploded: August 27, 1883, it would be a fun task for me.)
I feel terribly old now. I was in high school at the time. I remember that history, not from a book, but from actually living it, actually watching it unfold in front of me. A friend was in Germany not long after the Wall fell and brought back pieces of the Wall for everyone. It's not history if it's a part of my life. It cannot be. I cannot be old enough to be a part of history! I will not allow it.
No comments:
Post a Comment