When I was growing up, I would see her once, maybe twice a summer, when we paid a visit to my great-grandmother's house. Aunt LaVerne was always there when we visited, and always palmed us $20 when we got hugs and kisses upon leaving. Years later, I asked Aunt LaVerne about the bribery. Her answer was that she was always forced to spend days at really old, really boring relatives' homes and she never wanted to be the kind of relative people dreaded visiting. I laughed at that thought. Aunt LaVerne was NOT that kind of relative.
She was a great woman. Just the kind of role model independent thinking young girls need to have. She was a blast to be around, always with stories of living in Ireland and Puerto Rico with her first husband, or of more sedate bridge club adventures when she lived in Fort Smith with her second husband. She was just at home taking classes at Trinity College as she was teaching her house staff to make coffee for the general's wives as she was hosting bridge clubs and ladies' societies as she was serving breakfast to her boyfriend's farm help at haying time. Nothing was off-limits for Aunt LaVerne.
Sitting here, on the day I learned only two years ago was her birthday, I am overcome with lost opportunities -- most coming from not spending the time with her when I could, not asking her the questions I only discovered I should have too late. I know she would not have felt any of our visits were wasted, and I know she treasured the time her nieces and nephews, even when it cost her $20 each.
When I grow up, I want to be just like you Aunt LaVerne. Happy Birthday!

No comments:
Post a Comment