Thursday, March 24, 2011

"As You Wish..."

10 Movies That Were Better Than the Book

Now if that isn't an opinion list-piece to get a bibliophile riled up, I do not know what is.  I saw this link on a book discussion message board at which I frequently lurk.  Naturally I had to click it.   I can only comment on The Princess Bride, as it is the only one which I have seen and read.

And my comment would have to be "Disagree!!"  Do not get me wrong, The Princess Bride is a sweeping epic of a movie, with a great screenplay, memorable, quotable lines (useful for any and all occasions), made all the better by superb casting.  It's a movie for all times -- watching alone on a weeknight, having on for background noise, post-meal entertainment at dinner parties (surely we all have friends who can act out the movie as it airs -- what a great party game!)

But the book is equally as good.  It is, likewise, a sweeping epic of a tale, complete with expertly crafted descriptions and wonderful character development.  The book explains why the characters are who they are better than the movie.  It can go into more detail as to the backstory and motivation.  Curling up with the book and a bottomless pot of tea is a near perfect rainy-day adventure.

In most instances, the bibliophile in me will say that the book is better than any movie made from it.  Though that same bibliophile will advise anyone to see the movie first, lest you be disappointed.  But in this instance, both the book and the movie are equally excellent.  My best recommendation is to savor them both.  (And then, if you can find it, savour William Goldman's retelling of another S. Morgenstern tale, The Silent Gondoliers. You will not be sorry.)

1 comment:

  1. Someone actually thinks that the film 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest' is better than the book? Inconceivable! The book is a masterpiece.

    They are right about The Godfather, though. The writing and the superb cast take a mediocre book to a whole new level.

    And I agree with you on The Princess Bride. I equally enjoy both book and film for slightly different reasons.

    ReplyDelete