Sunday, August 14, 2011

Venn-ding Classic Rock

Background:  An episode of How I Met Your Mother, features one of the characters holding up a Venn diagram with one circle representing the "people who are breaking my heart" and another circle representing the "people who are shaking my confidence daily."  In the overlap of the two circles is the name "Cecilia."  It is an obvious reference to the Simon & Garfunkel song of the same name.  (I will pause here while you curse me for implanting the earworm...)

Today I was listening to my copy of Simon & Garfunkel Old Friends Live on Stage, and Cecilia started playing.  Wanting the chuckle, I did a Google search for an image of the Venn diagram from the How I Met Your Mother Episode.  I found plenty of images -- not only stills from the episode, but shirts, travel cups, tote bags, mouse pads, and dart boards for sale with the diagram silk screened on them.  But I also found a link to a blog post reviewing the episode.  As I do not remember the plot of the episode as much as I remember the Venn diagram, I checked out the blog post.  The diagram was mentioned in the plot summary, but what really struck me as interesting as a comment made by the blog author at the end.  I am not sure if the author was being serious or not, but the comment was "Okay, have we met this Cecilia person?"

I was flabbergasted.  The depths of ignorance of the world at large never cease to amaze me, but on this point, I was pretty sure there was no real issue.  Heck a Google search of the terms "breaking my heart/shaking my confidence daily" would lead you to the lyrics for the song.  I will be the first person to admit my ignorance as to the subject of popular music, but I was pretty sure everyone knew Cecilia.

It could be that I was lucky enough to see Simon & Garfunkel in concert in 2009, but still, I was under the impression that it was a well-known song, certainly well-known enough to need no explanation when the lyrics are used in such a joke.

Maybe the latest hot acts/groups -- whoever they may be -- need to put out an album of classic rock covers, just to make sure everyone can get the joke without having to ring up their grandparents.  In the meantime, to the blog author (and anyone else who is confused), I direct you to iTunes where you can download The Essential Simon & Garfunkel for $16.99, featuring not only Cecilia, but 32 other hits you have probably never heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment