Sunday, December 21, 2014

Cover Photos

This morning, I was checking my Facebook feed, and I noticed a photo of a friend at a cellar door on a wine tasting tour.  Honestly, I'm not sure the person in question would consider it a great photo, but I'm glad it was posted anyway.

The more I flipped through the other things in my feed, the more I thought about this particular picture. The photo was of a high school friend, and while anytime I hear or read names from that period of my life I see the person as they were at that age, this particular picture was definitely current.  Like I said, it probably wouldn't be picked by anyone as the best picture of either that person or themselves, but to me, it was very interesting.  And I began to look at all the photos in my feed a bit differently.

I noticed something interesting.  Much has been made lately about photos of (allegedly) famous people.  I really can't comment on any of that, as I have chosen to remain willfully ignorant.  But I noticed that the photos of all the people in my Facebook feed are much better than the photos of anyone I have seen on magazine covers.  Maybe it's because I know the people in the photos, but I really think it's more than that.  The people in my feed are real, not famous.  Even in untouched selfies, they look better than nearly every cover photo I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment