A few weeks ago, during a marathon of How It's Made episodes, I saw a piece on how curling stones are made. I always like those kinds of shows, I like knowing how things come to be, even things I'll never really use -- like carbon fibre cellos or Rolls Royce cars. But with the curling stones, it was as much because I enjoy the game as it was for the sheer knowledge that I watched them refine the granite to usable stones. I hesitate to say they manufacture the stones, because really, they only refine a natural product. But it was interesting to watch the process of rounding the stone and turning it, as well and weighting it properly and finally polishing it up.
Since I first saw curling, it has been a game that fascinates me. Unlike football or baseball, there is a careful, plan-able, and predictable strategy in playing this game. Brute force alone will not win you this game, nor will speed. It is a game of slow finesse and gentle precision. And yet, there are moments when smashing your opponent's stones out of the house is not only perfectly acceptable, but the only workable strategy. Curling is a thinking man's game, that can cross the line to be a drinking man's game. It is an approachable game for all. Besides who can resist a game that uses a household cleaning product as an essential piece of equipment?
Olympic curling has put the esoteric sport in the limelight -- it is where I saw it first -- and it has gained fans and detractors. Curling rinks have popped up all over and the demand for the stones is growing. Unfortunately, the supply of the granite available for the stones is dwindling.
From the first end I ever saw, one of my dreams has been to go to a bonspiel. More than that, though I want to try and slide a stone. Knowing my own athletic abilities, I would fail miserably. But dreams are as much for the experience as being successful. Whatever the fate of the game is, I hope I get to see it live before the last hammer is thrown.
No comments:
Post a Comment