Monday, April 19, 2010

Eruptive Sunsets

The eruption of the Eyjafjallajokull volcano in Iceland (and yes, the volcano actually has a name beyond "Icelandic Volcano") has caused me to anticipate the sunsets this summer and fall with a new found interest.
 
Yes, you read that right.  The eruption of a volcano has made me look forward to sunsets in the coming months.
 
As with everything else in the world, nothing happens in a vacuum, and everything that happens has an effect on everything else.  Volcanic eruptions and sunsets are no different.  I have always had a passing interest in both.  When I was young, maybe 8 or 9, I read somewhere that "purple hues at sunset are an indication of volcanic ash aloft."   Later in earth science, I learned there is indeed a connection between air pollution and beautiful sunsets.  Thus reinforcing my own personal theory that pollution is not the four-letter word tree-huggers make it out to be.

When Krakatoa erupted in 1883, so much ash was blown into the skies that ninety years later, there was still Krakatoa ash floating, creating beautiful purple-hued sunsets.  Even today, microscopic volcanic pollution from that huge and world changing eruption hangs in the atmosphere, coloring the evening skies with subtle lavender tints.

While it is too soon for the stranded air passengers to consider the pretty sunsets to come, I am looking forward to that serene beauty later this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment