A friend posted a comment on Facebook to the effect that there will be an entire generation of people who will know Disney's The Parent Trap as starring Lindsay Lohan, but not the original with Hayley Mills. (That in itself is a tragedy, but not the topic of this post.) I responded that it is my guess that even fewer will know the original book.
But that got me thinking. In discussion and/or message board conversations, I have been surprised at the number of people who do not know that a particular movie has a basis in a book. I am not talking about the obvious movies, the ones that retained the title of the book, like Gone with the Wind or To Kill a Mockingbird; or those that skip the confusion and title themselves as visual versions of the book such as Bram Stoker's Dracula or William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. (as if there were others???) Specifically I am thinking of books that have been made into movies but either are loosely based on the books from which they are derived, or have the title changed to something more "movie worthy."
So let's see how well my blog readers can match books with movies when the titles are not the same:
Books:
Life with Mother Superior, by Jane Trahey
Father's Arcane Daughter, by E.L. Konigsburg
Lottie and Lisa, by Erich Kästner
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers, by Maria Augusta von Trapp
Shoeless Joe, by W.P. Kinsella
Movies:
The Sound of Music
Caroline?
Field of Dreams
The Parent Trap
The Trouble with Angels
(These are from my experience only. I am sure there are other esoteric book/movie combinations I do not recognize because I have either not read the book or not seen the movie, and welcome comments from other people who have seen/read other not so obvious book/movie combinations.)
Life with Mother Superior is The Trouble with Angels
ReplyDeleteFather's Arcane Daughter is Caroline?
Lottie and Lisa is The Parent Trap
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers is The Sound of Music
Shoeless Joe is Field of Dreams