I had never read The Bible in its entirety and I wanted to. Last year, 2012, I started a Bible-in-a-Year reading plan. I was doing very well until I hit the Epistles of Paul and I got stuck. I was mired in them. I just could not make myself go any further and truthfully, I do not believe that The Bible is something you should force yourself to read, or something to be read under protest. So I shelved the Good Book until such a time as I was in a better frame of mind to read the remainder. Advent came and I found myself wanting to finish The Bible, so I pulled it out and continued with the reading plan from where I left off. I was so glad I waited. I am positive I got more out of that reading than I would have if I had forced myself to finish last year.
But even so, I feel I am fudging just a bit to claim 65 books for this year, but even without the 65th, I am very pleased with myself! Averaged out my reading comes to 0.18 books per day or just under 1/5 of a book per day. That is a very good total!
I am not expecting to read this many books in 2014, but I'm certainly going to try.
The books of 2013:
- The Woman Who Died A Lot -- Fforde, Jasper
- Captain Corelli's Mandolin -- de Bernières, Louis
- The Big Cat Nap -- Brown, Rita Mae
- Wormwood -- Albert, Susan Wittig
- Holly Blues -- Albert, Susan Wittig
- Mourning Gloria -- Albert, Susan Wittig
- The Treacherous Teddy -- Lamb, John J.
- Calm, Cool, and Adjusted -- Billerbeck, Kristin
- Raisins and Almonds -- Greenwood, Kerry
- Between Heaven and Hell -- Kreeft, Peter*
- A Stranger in Mayfair -- Finch, Charles
- An East End Murder -- Finch, Charles*
- A Burial at Sea -- Finch, Charles
- Royal Flush -- Bowen, Rhys
- Royal Blood -- Bowen, Rhys
- Naughty in Nice -- Bowen, Rhys
- Masked Ball at Broxley Manor -- Bowen, Rhys*
- A Carol for a Corpse -- Bishop, Claudia
- Toast Mortem -- Bishop, Claudia
- Chocolate Wars: From Cadbury to Kraft - 200 Years of Sweet Success and Bitter Rivalry -- Cadbury, Deborah
- Face Down O'er the Border -- Emerson, Kathy Lynn
- Death Before Wicket -- Greenwood, Kerry
- A Death in Gascony -- D'Almeida, Sarah
- Dying by the Sword -- D'Almeida, Sarah
- The Ninth Daughter -- Hamilton, Barbara
- The Cat Next Door -- Babson, Marian
- So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish -- Adams, Douglas
- Sweet Revenge -- Penrose, Andrea
- The Cocoa Conspiracy -- Penrose, Andrea
- Recipe for Treason -- Penrose, Andrea
- Away with the Fairies -- Greenwood, Kerry
- In the Teeth of Adversity -- Babson, Marian
- Monsieur Pamplemousse Stands Firm -- Bond, Michael
- Monsieur Pamplemousse on Location -- Bond, Michael
- Murder in the Museum -- Brett, Simon
- Monsieur Pamplemousse Takes the Train -- Bond, Michael
- Grand Days -- Moorhouse, Frank
- A Wee Christmas Homicide -- Dunnett, Kaitlyn
- The Corpse Wore Tartan -- Dunnett, Kaitlyn
- Murder in Montparnasse -- Greenwood, Kerry
- The Castlemaine Murders -- Greenwood, Kerry
- Queen of the Flowers -- Greenwood, Kerry
- Death by Water -- Greenwood, Kerry
- The Westing Game -- Raskin, Ellen
- Plato and a Platypus Walk into a Bar ... Understanding Philosophy Through Jokes -- Cathcart, Thomas & Daniel M. Klein
- A Disappearance in Drury Lane -- Gardner, Ashley*
- Scotched -- Dunnett, Kaitlyn
- Pane of Death -- Atwell, Sarah
- Sneaky Pie for President -- Brown, Rita Mae & Sneaky Pie Brown
- The Mysterious Benedict Society -- Stewart, Trenton Lee
- Murder in Burnt Orange -- Dams, Jeanne M.
- The Secret Life of Evie Hamilton -- Alliott, Catherine
- Chocolate Dipped Death -- Carter, Sammi
- Penelope Goes to Portsmouth -- Beaton, M.C.
- Scoop! -- Dennison, Hannah
- The Amber Room -- Berry, Steve
- Killer Mousse -- Wells, Melinda
- Blind Dates Can Be Murder -- Clark, Mindy Starns
- Elementary, My Dear Watkins -- Clark, Mindy Starns
- The Alpine Pursuit -- Daheim, Mary
- The Alpine Quilt -- Daheim, Mary
- The Alpine Recluse -- Daheim, Mary
- The Whole Enchilada -- Davidson, Diane Mott
- A Study in Scarlet & The Sign of the Four -- Doyle, Arthur Conan, Sir
- The Bible
Best of the Year: Murder in Montparnasse, with Captain Corelli's Mandolin a close second
Worst of the Year: The Treacherous Teddy, followed closely by The Amber Room
No comments:
Post a Comment