Wednesday, January 1, 2014

And It Begins Again

The clock struck midnight about fifteen minutes ago and the year rolled over.  It was far quieter here than I would have thought and there were far fewer neighborhood fireworks.  Fireworks are technically illegal at home, but that never stops anyone.  I was definitely pleased at the quiet celebration in my neighborhood.

But having rung in the New Year, I'm off to bed.  In the morning, and certainly after I've slept, I'll pick the first book of the year and switch out calendars and my toothbrush.  New Toothbrush Day is one of the best days of the Year and I love to begin the new year with a new toothbrush.


And the new Year began for real about 10:00 am, when I woke up for the day.  I wandered out to the living room and decided that the first thing I would do would be to update all my calendars.  I love having nice new calendars, though much like clock-change night, it's a lot of work to keep them all nice and current.  After that, I turned on the tv for some noise (the tail-end of Catalyst and the Robbie Williams Live from the Palladium special) as I browsed the internet for a while, checking here, there, and everywhere for interesting things happening overnight.  Finding it was just the regular stuff, I checked to see if Jeopardy! was on the streaming service at 11:30 and it was.  Yippee!!  The year started with a fun half hour.  I would say I skunked Bill, but the truth is, we didn't keep score, so I really don't know, and neither one of us knew the Final Jeopardy question.  On balance I might have won, but only because I am a conservative better, not because I knew more.

Lunch was leftover baked spaghetti.  I had an apple a bit later and then some cruskits with garlic butter.  I watched the latest episode of Major Crimes and then one of the Flashpoint episodes I had downloaded.  I am going to be really sorry when the series end -- good thing I have them on my hard drive.  I can watch them over and over.

Then I got dinner started.  I planned a meal featuring the traditional black-eyed peas (for luck) and cabbage (for money throughout the year).  I planned a black-eyed pea & corn salad and vegetarian spring rolls.  I prepped the salad and have it chilling while the filling for the spring rolls cools before I roll the rolls.  I am still debating whether I'm going to fry or bake the spring rolls.  I'll decide when it gets closer.  While dinner is chilling, I'm going to watch an episode of Laverne & Shirley.

Dinner was okay.  The salad was very good, and I enjoyed it very much.  In the end, I pan-fried the the spring rolls which ended up needing a bit more seasoning, but were not bad; and they were a great way to hide the New Year's Cabbage.  I wish I had dessert; but then I remembered we have Vanilla Ice Cream and the ability to make oatmeal topping for a bowl of that.  And that is what I plan on doing later tonight.  Tomorrow, I'll be better with my meals and counts.  (One of my gold this year is to be better with tracking meals and counts to help ensure I'm eating healthier.)

Dishes done, it was time to relax.  There may be some West Wing episodes, but there will definitely be some reading.  It's been a rainy, grey, drippy kind of day, just the kind to snuggle up with a cup of tea and a brand new book.  It's the first day of a new year, so that means it's time for a new book.  This year I want to work on getting through the books I bought on spec as well as catching up on some favorite series.  The plan is to read two books I know I'll enjoy (either series or otherwise) followed by one book bought on spec.  I think it's a good plan but time will tell if it works the way I hope.  I have 200 books on my to be read list, not counting the books on my Amazon wish list or on my Kindle.  I have a self-imposed moratorium on buying new books until I have to read at least two of the on spec books before I buy anything new.  So I'd best get reading.

I have the tv on for noise and the innocuous noise turned out to be Mythbusters.   This is a highlights show; fan and host favorite segments.  Normally I can let most of Mythbusters' silliness go, but this time, I just cannot.  I'm sorry Mythbusters.  You can tell me until we're both blue in the face that the science is sound and the results are accurate, but the truth is FALLING BULLETS KILL.  They do.  I don't care what the experiment showed.  FALLING BULLETS KILL.  Let me repeat that:  FALLING BULLETS KILL.  I have long wondered how sound the methodology is and how accurate and reliable the results are, but the contention that falling bullets cannot kill a person cemented my belief that you the show is testing for the results it wants, not the results that are true.  I am sure that the show exists so that little boys can blow up and/or crash things -- if only because the "myths" are almost always taken to the most ridiculous conclusions.  And more often than not, I feel the show is wasteful of all kinds of resources, not the least of which is helium.  But is completely irresponsible to declare with the finality that the show did that falling bullets do not kill.  I am going to repeat the real world reality one more time:  FALLING BULLETS KILL.  But if the hosts are so sure of their research and methodology, I suggest we test it again using the hosts as the unsuspecting innocent real people beneath the falling bullets.  Now, hosts, are you sure of your methodology and research?  Are you feeling lucky?

Just in case you want something more fun and less controversial, here's my original recipe for Oatmeal Topping (for ice cream):
1 part butter
2 parts brown sugar, packed
4 parts quick oats
In small skillet, melt butter over medium heat until butter foams.
Add brown sugar and stir until sugar dissolves and begins to caramelize.
Sprinkle with oats and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until oats are coated and the mixture resembles crumbs.
Serve immediately over ice cream.

It always make me happy when Bill discovers things taste better than they sound.  I know he's not a fan of oatmeal, but this application is not really oatmeal.  So I am a bit puffed that he liked it so much.  And this is a fairly simple thing, than produces a really nice end result.

No comments:

Post a Comment