Saturday, November 20, 2010

Hiding in the Shadows

day 19 - a talent of yours

I am not sure about this one.  I am not really sure I am talented at anything, well, nothing worthwhile anyway.  If I sing, it's off-key and out-of-tune.  I often joke with friends and family that the "Make a Joyful Noise" quote from the Bible does not come with a condition of "only if you can sing well."

Similarly, though I can play both the French Horn and Trumpet reasonably well, it has been years since I have picked up either instrument.  Additionally, I cannot keep time for crap, so while I am able to play the instruments, I am hardly concert performance ready.

I watched my great-aunt knit and crochet growing up, but I never learned how.  While I can sew, I am better with kits with instructions, and am rather lost at counted cross-stitch or other non-printed embroidery projects.

I can cook, but I am hardly world-class.  I can turn out a well-planned, nutritionally balanced meal, but I am never going to win any Master Chef prizes.

If pressed, I would say my talent is packing things, making the best possible use of the available space, fitting things in all the nooks and crannies and filling things up effectively.  But that's not really a marketable talent worthy of proclaiming from the rooftops.

I enjoy writing, and I think I do it fairly well, but there again, it's not something I think I do well enough to put out into the world.

Maybe it's not that I'm not talented, maybe it's just that I am shy and private...

No comments:

Post a Comment