Day 4 - your favorite book
Ohh! I love books. I have already admitted to you my blog readers that I am a hopeless book-a-holic. And my library is only growing. I have added two stacks of books since that entry. I love the the way my books look on my shelf, lined up in wobbly rows, spines out in a rainbow of colors and type. I love dust jackets, protecting the books with raised text and bright colorful pictures. I love the slick feel of the smooth matte paper covers of my trade paperbacks. I even like the ease of reading pocket paperbacks in those horrid "perfect" bindings. I love the comfortable, homey way my room smells when filled with the books. I love knowing that what bows down my shelves is not just soul-less paper and ink, but good friends and familiar adventures in welcoming worlds.
Picking just one of my 900+ books as my favorite is hard, and I have never been able to narrow it down to just one book. Even on my desert island list, I have 3 books:
Anne of Green Gables -- Anne Shirley is a good friend, and her world is a familiar to me as my own. I have read the book more times than I can count, but it never gets old, and there is something new to discover in each reading.
All I Really Need to Know I Learned in Kindergarten -- the collection of short stories is perfect for when all I have is time for quick snippets and self-contained tales. I first read the book at the suggestion of my high school religion teacher, after she read the title essay to the class. I was not disappointed and still turn to the stories when I need re-affirmation that there is good in the world.
The View from Saturday -- this is a book geared toward children that I did not read until I was an adult. But it was a life-changing book when I did read it. The story of misfits finding themselves in each other really hit home to me. I was always a quiet person, always on the outside of groups -- never specifically excluded, but never actually invited to join either. The Souls appealed to me and I saw myself in them.
Those are the books I would pick to take with me on a desert island. The books I would save from a burning building, that's another subject and much harder to decide...
No comments:
Post a Comment