Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Sparkles in the Dark

Day 9 – a photo you took

Parc de la Francophonie, Quebec, Province Quebec, Canada -- September 29, 2008

It was an overcast, grey, drippy, autumn day, with a stiff, bracing wind blowing between the buildings the day we explored Quebec.  We had been to the City before, but never this far outside the walls.  We were walking up Grande Allée Est from the Gate at Rue Saint Louis, having spent the better part of the morning along Terrasse-Dufferin and exploring the Plains of Abraham and Battlefield Park.  We were on our way to find the restaurant where we had planned to have dinner and we passed this little park -- really just a square city block of green space with a couple of monuments at either end -- but it was beautifully manicured and maintained, and in front of what we later found out was the shell of the Quebec City Armoury that had burned earlier in the year.  Even in the burnt state, the Armoury building was beautiful, and since we had no real urgency, I suggested we take a wander through the park, enjoying the weather and the scenery to see what we could find.  It was, as I said, a lovely Lynn-ish day and I was having a good time checking out the plantings in the park.  They were mainly evergreen shrubs and hearty winter-proof bushes, but a garden of different textures and shades of green can be equally as beautiful as a garden full of riotous color.  I was watching where I was walking over the asphalt path and I caught the faintest flash of something glistening among the dense green needles.  When I looked down to investigate further, I found there was just enough sunlight breaking through the steely grey sky to glint off the drops of the morning rain trapped on the gossamer-fine spider web.  I took several pictures to make sure I got a halfway decent one with my idiot-proof point & shoot digital camera, hoping to get one that was good enough to keep.  I think I did very well.

No comments:

Post a Comment