Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Tearing Up the Pages

Day 06 – A book that makes you sad

If you had asked me this as a child, it would have been either Charlotte's Web or Little Women.  The former had me crying myself to sleep for just about a week after reading.  The latter was so upsetting that I was an adult before I read past the part where Beth dies all the way to the end of the book.  As an adult, my answer is two different books, but for the same reason -- Dewey:  The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World and A Mango Shaped-Space.  I am sure you can guess why each was so upsetting as to bring me to tears.  I made the mistake of reading both in the lunchroom of my office.  I had a very hard time explaining to my non-reader co-workers what was so upsetting about the words on the page.  I am not recommending that you not read these books, just that if you do so in public, be prepared for people to think you are crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment