Saturday, January 25, 2014

Chocolate-Flavored Impatience

Tonight, after dinner, I decided that I what I really wanted was a brownie.  I could have asked dearest to go down to the grocery and get me some pre-prepared brownies, but I really wanted a homemade brownie.  In my opinion, homemade brownies are nearly always better than store bought ones.  And had you asked me even as little as two years ago, I would have told you that boxed mix brownies far outshone from scratch ones.  Then I discovered Chocolate-Buttermilk Brownies.

But I did not have the necessary buttermilk for that recipe, and I really was not feeling frosted brownies tonight.  I was really feeling cakey brownies with a sprinkling of powdered sugar.  And I knew I had some M&Ms in the pantry, so my mouth was preparing for M&M brownies.

I feel incredibly indulgent, but that is exactly what I did.  After cleaning house this morning, fixing dinner, and washing the dinner dishes, I made a mess of my kitchen again, to make brownies.  The buzzer just went off and the chocolatey, cakey goodness is cooling.  This is the hardest time for me in regards to baked goods, from cookies to cakes to brownies to bread, I have an incredibly hard time waiting for them to cool.  I can smell the treats.  I can see them.  They are calling to me from the counter.  But still, it's necessary to wait to enjoy them.  It's almost torture.

To distract myself, I'm writing this post (which is not really helping, come to think of it), and then I'm going to watch an episode of The West Wing on DVD.  Then I'm having a brownie, whether they are cool or not!

No comments:

Post a Comment