Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Visits from Gods

This morning when I walked out of my front door on my way to the grocery, there were two ibis perched on my neighbor's roof.  Two ibis.  On my neighbor's roof.

They flew away before I could even begin to get a camera to get a photograph of them.  But they were there.  (Yes, I know, pictures or it didn't happen.)

In the US, my street was divided by an open canal.  The canal was home to all kinds of animals:  turtles, snakes, fish, eels, nutria, and birds.  The birds were mainly cattle egrets, but every now and then, we got king fishers, and occasionally, ibis.  But even so, I never really considered ibis as anything but infrequent visitors to the canal bank.

Well, that's not true.  I knew one of the gods (demigods?  I'm not really sure on that point) in Egyptian mythology was a half-ibis creature. That particular god was the "scribe of the gods."  Yes, thank you, Mardi Gras krewes!  What do children who grow up in cities without Mardi Gras Krewes named for mythological gods do?

Sorry, waxing poetic about the ibis.  Yep, ibis.  On the roof.  I live in an amazing place.

No comments:

Post a Comment