Over the weekend, Chicago restaurateur, Grant Achatz tweeted his frustration at a couple who brought their 8-month old baby to his restaurant Alinea.
The story has gone viral, with the usual range of people agreeing with Mr. Achatz' opinion and people complaining that he created the issue by the ridiculous rules at his restaurant, where one does not make reservations, one purchases non-refundable, non-changeable tickets!
I kid you not. Tickets! The rules regarding the tickets are such that even when things happen to the purchaser, there is no option for a refund or a change in dates. It's a restaurant! Emergencies happen and people have to cancel reservations. It's a fact of life when one runs a restaurant. Yes, an 8-month old is out of place at such a restaurant, but faced with the option of losing the chance to dine at Alinea after months of waiting AND losing over $500 or bringing the baby, the couple made what they considered the best choice.
I certainly would not have been a happy diner had I been in the restaurant that night. But having been in fancy (though admittedly not THAT fancy) restaurants, and experienced both screaming infants and undisciplined, uncontrolled children, I have to say that screaming infants have far less potential to ruin the meal.
Other than banning children under 18 from the establishment, which is Mr. Achatz's right, there is nothing he can do about people bringing their 8-month old when they feel they have no other option.
Sorry Mr. Achatz, you made your bed, now you have to lie in it. Either way your ridiculous restaurant is getting tons of publicity, so I can't help but wonder if this was all a stunt anyway.
No comments:
Post a Comment