This morning I woke up with a screaming headache, the kind that threatens to explode, taking not only the top of your head, but your eyeballs, with it. Waking up with a headache is terrible enough, but waking up with that kind of screaming headache is far worse.
Several years ago, I read something online about treating headaches with a combination of the over-the-counter medication, Excedrin, and a Dr. Pepper. I was a bit skeptical, but I tried it. And it worked! Boy how did it work! Since then the combination of two regular Excedrin (aspirin, acetaminophen, and caffeine) and a 12-ounce can of regular Dr. Pepper has been my go-to for those screaming headaches.
I have not seen any science as to why this combination is more effective than anything else, but it is. I really don't question it, I just know that when I have one of those kinds of headaches, it's the only thing that will work. And it works better and faster than anything else I have tried -- dark rooms, cold compresses, targeted headache medication -- the Excedrin and Dr. Pepper is the combination for me. I wonder why it works sometimes, and why it really only works with that particular combination: a regular Dr. Pepper and regular Excedrin. It has to be more than the added caffeine in Dr. Pepper, US Mountain Dew has the same amount of, or more, caffeine than Dr. Pepper, but it has no effect when paired with Excedrin. And the Excedrin is just as necessary, simple aspirin or acetaminophen don't work, even when paired with Dr. Pepper. It's all anecdotal, but the combination works for reasons I have not been able to explain.
When I moved to Australia, I didn't realize that my go-to headache relief combination would be so hard to get. Excedrin is not available here. And while Dr. Pepper is available, it's imported and comes with import prices (to the tune of $3.50/can!). But even so, it's worth it to me. Back in the US, we kept a 12-pack of Dr. Pepper on hand at all times for what we jokingly called "medicinal" purposes. Here in Australia, with the import prices, I justify the expense as medicinal, but I really wish I could write the cost off as a legitimate medical expense. Of course, the fact that I can't get Excedrin kind of negates the whole idea. Ohh, well.
I'm not saying how I solved that little technicality. I'll just say that my preferred headache treatment is still working and the world is a better place because of it.
No comments:
Post a Comment