Yesterday, when I was talking to my Mom, she mentioned that one of my Dad's co-workers had passed away after a long battle with cancer. In some ways I feel very strange, because I really only knew the employee through my Dad's office. But in others, it's a very real loss to me.
My Dad has worked there since at least the early 80's and I literally grew up while my Dad has worked there. My Dad's office always had a family atmosphere. It was a friendly office, and that extended to employees families, who were always welcome. The executives would (and sometimes did) everything they could to help their employees. I know the office is in mourning as much as the employee's family. It really as is though a part of the office has faded to darkness and silence.
This particular employee was a tough-as-nails person, the kind of person you really thought, underneath it all, could beat anything, even cancer. That toughness had been proven already, when the employee was the victim of a falling bullet one New Year's Eve. (Which is how I know, despite the Mythbusters questionable methodology that falling bullets really can kill people. The employee survived, but the powers that be certainly had a hand in that because the bullet lodged between the forearm bones and was eventually removed.) It's sobering to learn that there are some things that just defeat us all, even the toughest.
My Mother made a comment that Heaven will be a bit more interesting now. And I know she's right. Heaven will definitely be a bit more interesting. I'm even sure there will be some rules tested to their limits.
Rest in Peace, but not too much Peace.
No comments:
Post a Comment